Monday, August 4, 2008

you know its not your day when.....

so, pat and I had another game today, 1000pts.

my list
-3 x 8 x genestealers
-1 x broodlord
-2 x 5 x ripper swarms
-2 x lictors
-3 x ravenors w rending claws and scything talons
-2 x zoanthropes w synapse and warp blast

pat's list
-1 x 12 x fire warriors
-1 x 12 x firewarriors, 4 x gun drones, 2 x markerlight drones
-1 x crisis suit commander, 2 x crisis suit bodyguards
-1 x hammerhead
-1 x broadside

we played the one with kill points (I can't spell the mission type off the top of my head), with dawn of war set up. personally, I really dislike dawn of war, as I feel it gives player 1 a huge advantage, as deploying you're whole army first is an awesome when you have half the table and your opponent has to put stuff 18" away, although we didn't use night fighting turn 1 (we didn't notice it in the book until about halfway through pat's turn, and he refused to restart). it didn't help that pat had 2 huge troops and a powerful HQ, compared to any of mine. basically it was a firing line of fire warriors and suits at about the middle of the board, with 2 rail guns on his board edge, and I had my brood lord and rippers half way up my deployment zone, with a line of genstealers and zoanthropes on my edge. the terrain was pretty scattered so I didn't have a good path to his meat either.

pat's turn 1
-crisis suits, fire warriors and rail guns empty into brood lord, killing him, and kills a ripper base

my turn 1
-everything moves up, zoanthropes are out of range

pat's turn 2
-fire warriors kill another ripper base, suits kill 4 genestealers, hammerhead wounds a zoanthrope

my turn 2
-lictors don't come in, ravenors do, but scatter 7" just out of cover. they fleet 6" though, and get to the "safety" of a forest. everything else moves up again, zoanthropes still not in range.

pat's turn 3
-fire warriors and hammerhead kill 3/3 ravenors, other squad of fire warriors finishes off the last 3 rippers, crisis suits kill 3/4 genestealers, broadside shoots at zoanthrope and fails

my turn 3
-lictors come in, one assaults the hammerhead stunning it. the other assaults 12 fire warriors, kills 2, then gets beat down (pat gets 6 attacks back, gets four 6's to hit, then two 6's to wound, then I fail both 5+ saves).

pat's turn 4
-broadside shoots at full strength zoanthrope, deal 1 wound. fire warriors shoot down the majority of a squad of genestealers. crisis suits shoot down remaining lictor. I realize that lictors have feeder tendrils (re-roll to hit), and might have been able to hold a lil better vs the fire warriors.

my turn 4
-everything moves up more. both zoanthropes shoot at his suits, but both shots scatter off the board.

pat's turn 5
-kills off the squad of one genestealer, and reduces the weakened squad to 1 model. finishes off a zoanthrope.

my turn 5
-squad of 1 'stealer assaults 10 fire warriors, kills 1 and doesn't die, they hold. last remaining ripper swarm makes its way around the giant wall on the board, assault the squad of fire warriors with drones, kills 4, takes 2 wounds, warriors hold.

pat's turn 6
-hammerhead shoots at last genestealer squad, kills 2/8. suits shoot at remaining zoanthrope but fail to kill it. fire warriors do lil in CC

my turn 6
-genestealers get in CC with fire warriors, they and rippers kill 4 fire warriors, enough to make them run and get caught. other genestealer is still in CC. game ends.

so, the final result was 5 kill points for pat, 1 for me. a crushing defeat for me, partly due to significant set up/terrain advantage for pat, partly due to poor playing and list making on my part.

5 comments:

Pat said...

there were no markerlight drones

Pat said...

my broadside is what wounded the zeanthrope

Mike said...

And Pat has won my respect as most likely person to defeat Scott all the time.

Pat said...

lol thanks mike

scott_smu said...

he's prolly won half our games, which is good considering the track records for the rest of you.